History of IBEW
IBEW Local 353 was chartered on February 2, 1903. Local 353 – like many other Canadian locals – collapsed in 1908. Local 353 was reinstated under a tentative agreement in September 1914 and, of course, remains very active today.
Founded on February 2, 1903
Licensed Journeymen’s Association merges with IBEW Local 353
IBEW Local 353’s 1st Apprenticeship Plan is underway 1928
The Industrial Standards Act is established -The 1935 Industrial Standards Act was designed to eliminate unfair competition. IBEW Local 353’s then Business Manager, Cecil Shaw & President Jack Nutland were primarily responsible for the negotiation of the agreement
1953 – IBEW Local 353 Celebrates its 50th Anniversary – Over 2000 people attended in the Automotive Building at the CNE Grounds
The Canadian Labour Congress (CLC) is created 1956 – The CLC was created to unite Canada’s unions under one banner to advance the rights of Canada’s working people.
The Ontario Federation of Labour (OFL) is established 1957
First Education Committee meeting is held & technical courses are offered on an ad-hoc basis 1977
CLC-Building Trades Split 1981
The 33rd IBEW Convention is hosted in Toronto for the first time 1986
The Toronto Electrical Industry Benefit Administrative Services (TEIBAS) is founded 1990 – This organization administers the group benefit and pension plans and provides service exclusively to the International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers (IBEW) Local 353 members.
The Grand Opening of the new IBEW Local 353 Union Hall at 1377 Lawrence Avenue East 1992
The Toronto Training Centre is opened, starting off with four classrooms 1992
IBEW Locals 1739 and 894 merge into Local 353 2012